Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Why Every Citizen Online Training is Important to Many Ohioans


A recent visit to an Every Citizen Online (ECO) training class at Pioneer Career and Technical Center in Shelby revealed various reasons some Ohioans haven’t adopted Internet usage into their daily lives and why many are doing so now.

“I don’t have a computer. Well, I have an old one from 1987,” said Dean Morse. “I thought the training might help me if I want to go to the library and use their computers to look up something.”

Morse shared that he would like to learn to use eBay. He has an old train set and other antique items he would like to sell.

Jerry Grove is currently unemployed and knows he needs computer and Internet skills to apply for jobs online.

“I raised children and I worked,” said Grove. “I bought computers for my 5 kids and my grandchildren, but I never bought one for myself.”

Barb Queen shared a similar story.

“My employer went out of business in December,” Queen said. “My family bought me a laptop for my birthday and I thought it’d be a good time to learn. I look forward to the things Internet makes available.”

The course instructor, Donnie Perry, began the 6-hour training by asking what each of the 11 class participants wanted to be able to do by using the Internet that they currently could not. Perry wants to ensure each participant graduates the program with the tools and knowledge that will help them meet those expectations.

“Our nieces and nephews told us what (computer equipment) to go buy,” shared Anita Hollinger. “We have the equipment, but we don’t know how to use the stuff.”

Hollinger wants to Web chat with her cousin overseas. Her husband, John, would like to look at woodworking websites for tips and ideas to fuel his hobby.

Some are just looking for the simplicity that can come from Internet use.

“Online bill pay would be very convenient for me,” Queen said. “I wouldn’t have to drive 15 minutes to pay my bills like I do now.”


To view more photos from this class, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment